Temple Beth El
Temple Beth El
Lawrence Technological University
July 3, 2019
Alternative Title or Name
Bethel Community Transformation Center
Aluzzo, Adrienne (photograph)
Detroit (inhabited place)
Classical Revival (European revival style)
capitals (column components)
Detail view of Ionic column capital and entablature at Temple Beth El (formerly), designed by Detroit architect, Albert Kahn (a member of the congregation) in 1922. The congregation grew too large for the temple and after several name changes is currently called the Bethel Community Transformation Center. "The structure is three stories high with dimensions of 140 feet by 240 feet. It is a rectangular, flat-roofed, Classical-style, limestone structure built in 1921-22. The Woodward Avenue side is the most notable elevation. It is spanned by a shallow. eight column, Ionic portico sheltering three sets of entrance doors with simple classical surrounds. The rest of the walls are sheathed in plain masonry relieved only by the denticulated cornice ... The interior includes numerous plainly finished class rooms, lounges, offices, meeting rooms, and service facilities in addition to the main auditorium. This latter is a vast, domed space with curving pews arranged in a semi-circle on a sloping floor with a balcony across the rear. The focus of the room is the raised platform that now contains a choir and pulpit. The ceiling and walls are ornamented with frescoes depicting events and personages from Jewish history,"--National Register of Historic Places website.
©2013 Lawrence Technological University. These images may be used for personal or educational purposes. They are not available for commercial purposes without the explicit permission of LTU.